Enabling Google Authenticator
Google Authenticator uses a secret code to generate one-time passwords every 30 seconds, and is much more secure than SMS. We recommend all users disable SMS and use either Google Authenticator or our own native app-based solution.
To set up Google Authenticator:
- Sign in to your account using SMS for 2-Factor authentication. If you cannot receive SMS messages, we can provide you with 10 backup codes to use.
- Navigate to the “Security & Alerts” section found on the left side-bar
- Click on “Enable” under Google Authenticator (you will be prompted for a 2-Factor code again)
- You will now see a QR code as well as a secret code. We recommend you store this secret somewhere secure and install it on a TOTP generator such as Yubikey.
- Now that Google Authenticator is enabled and you have a way to generate 1-time passwords from the secret code, you can safely disable SMS by clicking “Disable” under SMS.
- This Google Authentication method can be used to login to the website as well as the iOS/Android apps.